We are all online these days, thanks to the wonderful world of social media. But sometimes we need to get rid of certain people for privacy reasons or maybe because we simply don’t need them in our lives anymore.
Here’s how to block and unblock someone on Facebook Messenger.
Why Should You Block Someone on Facebook Messenger?
It’s important that we use our phones cautiously. While we can stay close to our loved ones, we may also become prey to toxicity. Hence, it’s important that we are vigilant about who we choose to stay in touch with. They may affect us much more deeply than we realize.
Do you have someone in your life who is constantly reaching out to you for help but is never available when you need them? Or maybe an old partner who keeps coming back to you even when you don’t want them to? You need to block them!
It can be easy to become prey to cyberbullying online. These people can harass you on your public posts or in your inbox. Instead of arguing with such people, it’s better to simply block them.
It is also easy for anyone to find out your information such as your place of work, your close friends and other private details. Someone might even use your photos inappropriately. If you come across such a person, you should block them immediately.
When Should You Block Someone?
When you decide to block someone, there is no justification necessary for why you are doing it. Chances are the person would figure it out on their own.
However, if the person you are about to block is close to you, that might warrant an explanation. You should consider explaining the reason why you were hurt or angry before severing all communication.
Who we choose to connect with online impacts us greatly. Here are some points that might help you decide who to stay away from and when to block them.
- When you don’t want someone to have access to your personal pictures and posts.
- If someone tries to contact you continuously when you don’t want them to, consider blocking them for safety and security reasons.
- When you have fallen out with a friend and there is no hope of reconciliation.
- When you’ve had a bad breakup with a toxic ex.
- When you are being distracted from someone’s posts. Perhaps it is a cousin who constantly posts pictures from her travels or an old friend who seems much more successful than you are.
Blocking Someone on Messenger
Blocking someone on Messenger is different from blocking them on Facebook. When you block a person on Facebook, they may still be able to contact you on Messenger. If you really want to sever contact, make sure you block them on both applications.
Blocking Someone on Messenger on an Apple Device
- Open the app on your Apple device.
- Open the conversation with the person you want to block.
- Tap their profile picture.
- You will find the option to block under the ‘Privacy and Support’ section.
- You will get the option to block the person from just Messenger or from Facebook as well.
- A final message will pop up asking if you are sure you want to block.
The person will be blocked immediately and won’t be able to contact you any longer.
Blocking Someone on Messenger on an Android Device
- Log into your Messenger account.
- Choose the person you want to block.
- Tap the ‘i’ icon. You will find the option to block at the bottom.
- Choose whether you want to block them on both Messenger and Facebook.
- Confirm that you want to block.
Blocking Multiple People at the Same Time
- Open the Messenger App.
- Tap your profile picture.
- Select ‘Privacy’ and then ‘Blocked Accounts’.
- You will see a list of people already blocked. Select ‘Add’ to add more.
- Select as many contacts as you want to block.
- Block them on both Messenger and Facebook.
- Confirm your action by tapping the ‘Block’ button again.
Blocking Someone on Messenger on Your Laptop
- Open the Messenger App.
- Choose the conversation with the person you want to block.
- Select the three vertical dots. You will see two different options to block them on Messenger and Facebook. Choose both if you want.
- A message will appear on your screen to confirm if you want to block. Click on ‘Block’.
What Happens After the Block?
Blocking someone toxic is emotionally freeing. It is even healthy for us. You will notice a positive change in your attitude as soon as you block such a person.
When you block someone on Messenger, they won’t be able to send you any message or see your activity status. You won’t be able to do the same either. Your chat would show you the option to unblock or to report that something is wrong.
Your previous conversations will still be accessible to both parties. You can still access the messages, photos, videos and other such media that were previously shared. You will only lose your access to the chat when you manually delete it yourself.
The blocked person will not find out you have blocked them. A message will appear on their screen saying the person is unavailable on Messenger.
The blocked person will still be able to contact you if you are in the same group as them. You will be able to see their messages and they will be able to see yours. If you join a new group in which a blocked contact is already a member, Facebook will let you know.
Difference between Blocking on Facebook and Facebook Messenger
Blocking someone on Facebook Messenger is different from blocking on Facebook. If you want to completely sever contact with someone, you have to block them on both the apps.
When you block someone on Facebook, they won’t be able to see your status updates, your profile pictures, videos and any other updates. But they will still be able to message you on the Messenger App.
When you block someone on Messenger App, they won’t be able to call you or send you messages. But they will still be able to see your photos and updates. They will also be able to like and comment on them.
Unblocking Someone on Messenger
Sometimes you may have regrets and decide to unblock someone. When you block someone, you also unfriend them. If you want to see their photos and updates, you have to send them a friend request again.
You can immediately unblock a person after blocking them. However, if you decide to block that person again, you have to wait for 48 hours to do that.
When Should You Unblock a Person?
Sometimes we take extreme actions in anger but later realize that clear communication might be better. If this is you, you should unblock that person and have an honest chat with them.
However, when you unblock someone, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you want the person back in your life. Sometimes blocking a person is a way for us to cope with the pain and hurt that they caused us. Unblocking them can be a symbolic move that we are finally ready to move on.
How to Unblock?
If you change your mind and decide to unblock someone, you can easily do that.
Select the conversation with the person that you want to unblock. You will see the option to unblock at the bottom. You can only unblock someone on Messenger after you have unblocked them on Facebook as well.
If you’ve deleted the conversation, follow these steps.
- Tap on your profile picture on the top left.
- Select ‘Privacy’ and then ‘Blocked Accounts’.
- Choose as many people as you want to unblock.
- Confirm your action.
Social Media and Mental Well-Being
It is not a secret that social media can both be a boon or a bane for us, depending on how we use it. A lot of conversations have popped up lately discussing the effects of social media on our well-being. The Facebook staff themselves have discussed how Facebook can both be useful and harmful at the same time.
If we use these apps carefully, we can reap great rewards. Here are some tips on how to use these apps responsibly.
Getting rid of toxic people. These are the people who make you feel bad about yourself in any way. It could be how they talk to you or just the kind of things they post about.
Remember that whatever you post online will exist in some form even after you delete it.
Keep a track of the time spent on these apps. It’s easy to get distracted and spend hours away just scrolling through cat pictures.
Just noting how long you are online on these apps can be a great way to limit the time spent online.
Choose your friends wisely. If you get a friend request from a profile that looks suspicious, it’s better to block them.
The Final Word
While Facebook addiction is a serious problem, these apps can still be a great way to stay in touch with old friends and family who live far away from us. But make sure you are not spending your time worrying about toxic people.
Life is too short to spend around people we don’t like. So, don’t wait. Go ahead and block away!