Wondering how to tell when someone was last on Facebook Messenger? Maybe you have sent a message and wonder if they have seen it yet.
Or maybe you want to hide when You where last on Facebook Messenger!
Stick with me and I’ll show you how to do this in very easy to follow steps.
It is possible to know the date and time when a friend logged into Facebook last.
In this article, I’ll cover some tips and tricks of how you can see any user’s login on Facebook Messenger using a computer, tablet or smartphone.
How You Can See the Last Login of a User on Facebook Messenger
On Your PC or Mac
If you’re using the Facebook Messenger app on your computer, i.e. PC or Mac, then you can view the last login of your contact by using the “Web Version” of Messenger.
You can do this by following the steps described below:
- First open your internet browser, i.e., Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox and go onto the homepage of Facebook Messenger and login to your FB Messenger account.
- Once you have logged in, then click on the gear icon, which is located on the top left and from the menu choose the “Active Contacts.” From the list, click the name of the contact you want to view.
- If you’re unable to see it in the results, on the search bar of the main page of Messenger, you can search the name and select from the results.
- Once you do this, you will be able to view the last login info of the person on the right side of the screen, below the contact’s name.
- If your contact is online and using FB Messenger, then you will see the status “Active on Messenger”, otherwise, you will see the message “Active (X)minutes ago.”
- If you’re unable to see the activity status of your contact, then this feature may not be enabled in your settings.
- And, if you’re unable to see the login information for any of your contacts, then you can fix the problem by:
- Clicking on the gear icon, which is located on the left top corner of the page.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Locating the “Show Your Activity Status” option and click the toggle to the “On” option.
- Select “Finish” to confirm your selection.
On Your Tablet or Smartphone
If you want to check Facebook from your tablet or smartphone, then you can do it via the FB Messenger app available on both iOS, as well as Android. Here are the steps of how to check the last login of your contact on your tablet or smartphone:
- First, open the tablet/phone and go to the FB Messenger app. You can identify the Messenger app by its characteristic blue logo.
- Next, log in to your account.
- Select the icon of the tiny people that you see at the bottom of the page. This will open a new page, where you can view all your contacts who are active and those who have just used Messenger.
- A green dot beside the name will indicate that your contact is currently online.
- If a person is not active on Messenger, then it will show “X Minutes” since they were on Messenger.
- If you’re unable to see a particular contact, then you can use the search function by typing in the name of the contact in the search bar and select from the results.
- When you select the name, a chat screen will open up and below the person’s name, you will see when they logged into Messenger last.
- If you’re unable to see your contact’s activity, it is probably because the feature has not been enabled by you and you can get this information by:
- Selecting your photo on your profile, which is located on the top left-hand corner of the FB Messenger screen.
- Then selecting “Activity Status.”
- And finally, under the “Show” option, choosing “On When You Are Active.”
Ever wondered what all the symbols and icons mean on FB Messenger? I have an easy guide on all that – so have a read. Maybe you want to see someone’s private Facebook photos? – got that covered too.
How to Hide Your Last Login on Facebook
If you don’t want your contacts to know when you last logged into FB Messenger or when you were last active, then you can do this by following the steps we have described in this section.
On Your PC or Mac
To disable your status information on your computer (PC or Mac), you need to use the web version of Messenger.
- Once you log into your account, click on the gear icon on the top left-hand corner of your homepage.
- From the menu that comes up, select the “Settings” option.
- The window that pops up has the option of “Show Your Activity Status”. Turn this to “Off” and confirm by choosing “Finish.”
You can also hide your last login status by using the Facebook website and to do this, go to the Facebook page and log in to your account.
- On the lower right-hand side of the chat bar, you will see the gear icon, which you must click on.
- From the menu that pops up select, “Deactivate Activity Status”.
- You also have the option of whether you want to activate your activity status “For All Contacts”, “Only for Some Contacts”, which you need to select or “For All Contacts But Some” and put in the exceptions.
- Confirm your choice by clicking on the “OK” button.
On Your Tablet or Smartphone
If you want to hide your last login status on FB Messenger using your tablet or smartphone, here are the steps to do that:
- Get into the FB Messenger application and click on your profile pic in the top left-hand corner.
- Locate the “Activity Status” option and turn off the “Show When You Are Active” option.
- Confirm your choice by selecting “Deactivate”.
An important point to remember is that by deactivating your activity status, either on your computer, tablet or smartphone, you also cannot see the activity status of the other contacts. However, if you change your mind later on, you can always revert to your default settings.
If you want to hide your status maybe you should check out my article on how to send anonymous Facebook messages. It’s a bit sneaky! Then check out ways to seem offline in Messenger – hide the fact that you are online! Did you know there is a way to use Messenger without Facebook?
How to View the Last Login of FB Messenger Non-Friends
Now that you know all about how to view the login and activity status of your friends on Messenger and also hide your activity status, you may be curious if you can check the last login or activity status of people who are not your friends on Facebook.
You can do this only in one way and that is to start chatting with the particular contact.
FB Messenger lets you contact people not on your friend list and chat with them. However, you need to first send a message to the person and wait until they reply.
No reply? Not really surprising if you are contacting a random person! If you need to you can check if someone has blocked you on Facebook Messenger using this guide.
If you receive a message from a person who’s not your friend on Messenger, you will need to send one message at least to get access to the information of when they logged into FB Messenger or when they were last active on it.
If you have a conversation going on, then you can view the person’s recent login / activity information. If you have not added the person as a friend, you’ll not be able to see the login information of the person.
Just remember this is straying into a kind of spying on Facebook. I cover lots of tips and tricks around FB monitoring on AcisNI.com.
I have an in depth guide on how to hack a Facebook account for free – legally and ethically. You should also take a look at – The Best Facebook Hacker Apps.
Another popular guide I have added explains why some people have problems sending Gifs on Messenger. I explain all and tell you how to fix it.
So check them out to see what is possible.
So there you have it. By following the steps described above you can view when someone was last active on Facebook Messenger, whether you’re using your computer, tablet or smartphone. Easy Peasy!