Social media has taken quite the U-turn these days. While the early days of social media made people flock to these platforms, remain hyperactive and connect with friends, family and meet new people, today things are quite strange.
With the threat of data breaches and privacy loss looming, people are choosing to either disconnect or connect on their own terms. This may include not wanting to show people you are available all the time.
After all, who wants random strangers to ping you? You feel compelled to reply, you don’t have the time and then you feel bad. Social media should certainly not be the space to give you unnecessary anxiety.
Since it is a social media platform, Facebook is designed in a way that it tends to inform your connections if you are online at the same time as them. However, sometimes your motive for being online may not be to talk to someone or engage in things.
For such times, you would be better off hiding your active status on Facebook Messenger and the app so that you don’t get bombarded with pleasantries and invitations to chat.
How Can You Hide Your Last Active Status on Facebook?
There is nothing to worry about if you are not in a mood to chat with someone. You can simply follow some easy steps to go discreet while still being able to access the platform and use it as per your wish. Here’s what you ought to do.
- You need to log in to your account if you aren’t already logged in.
- The next step would be to head straight to the chat head and choose ‘Turn off Active Status’ from the settings option.
- Facebook also gives you the option to remain discreet partially. If you don’t want to be available to certain people only from among your contacts, you are free to do so.
- You can hide your active status from either everyone or a few contacts from your friend list. The options will be displayed as ‘turn off active status for all contacts’, ‘turn off active status for all contacts except’ and ‘turn off active status for only some contacts.
Choose what works for you best!
How to Hide Last Active Status via Phone?
The above steps can help you turn off your active status via the computer. If you are one of those people who use social media via phone, these are the steps you can follow to hide active status via Android and iOS iPhone.
Here are the steps you can follow:
How to Hide Last Active Status on Messenger?
Now that you know how you can choose your activity status on Facebook, you must also be aware of the steps you can take to browse Facebook Messenger discreetly.
Here are a few steps which will make the process a breeze.
- Log in to your Facebook Messenger.
- Head straight to the profile picture on the right-hand side of the Messenger. It is on the top so you should be able to see it easily.
- All you need to do now is to turn off the active status.
You are free to be active on Messenger without having to deal with chat invitations.
Open the Messenger app on your phone.
- Log into your Facebook profile by entering your credentials.
- Tap the active status which you can see at the top left of your profile picture.
- Now tap next to change your status.
- Confirm your choice and you are good to go.
Why Can’t You Simply Turn Off Active Status in Messenger?
Many people may think that simply turning off active status in Messenger will seal the deal. This is because it is what most people use to chat with others and it is where most people get pinged.
However, if you simply turn off Messenger, you will notice that once you log into Facebook, your status will still be active.
To go completely off the radar, you also need to hide your Active status on the Facebook app. Here are steps you can follow.
- Log in to the Facebook app from your phone.
- Go to the hamburger menu at the top right of the app.
- Settings and Privacy’ from the scroll-down option.
- In the settings menu, go to the ‘Privacy’ option and then tap on ‘Active’.
- You can either turn it off or on depending on your choice.
By following these simple steps, you will be able to change your availability status completely. Now, you will come across as inactive from the app and computer.
Things You Must Be Aware Of
It is easy to hide your last active status on Messenger following the steps above. But there is something you must be aware of.
Hiding your last active status is device specific. For example, if you follow the steps through your phone, you still will be active. Hence, you need to deactivate your active status on each device you use Facebook on.
For example, if you deactivate your status on Facebook Messenger via your phone, you may still be active via your laptop. So make sure you turn off the settings for each device you are synced with.
Hiding Active Status vs. Quitting
It is not uncommon to see people quit social media because of too much interference in their life or breach of privacy.
There is also a rise in cases of people shunning all social media platforms because it is impacting their mental health or they feel they are missing out on life.
Additionally, social media is addictive and several people end up spending way more time on it than they would ideally want to.
Being able to hide active status on Facebook may help people find a middle ground. It gives you the option to be on the platform for reasons you deem appropriate. At the same time, it also helps you evade unnecessary scrutiny and advances.
You may be getting messages and it is completely up to you to respond to them based on your wish.
If you successfully managed to hide your active status on Messenger and the app, you need to know it is only a minor thing in the larger scheme of things.
There is a fair chance people may still be able to track you down via your activity log or something else.
Besides, if there is someone who really wants to annoy you, they will find a way through some other way. Also, you will be able to receive messages, you just have the freedom to not respond and offend someone.
Having said that, there is no way you can control someone else’s thoughts and actions. The best you can do is to hide your status and browse through Facebook as per your wish.
Why should other people dictate how you browse through Facebook?
Lastly, hiding active status on Facebook is simple, easy and hassle-free. You don’t have to do anything complicated and with the simple tap of a few buttons, you are completely in control of your social media browsing.