Today I’m going to explain how to hide your last active status on Facebook Messenger. Don’t worry it’s really easy.
I’ll also cover some things about your status display that you might not be aware of – such as the importance of the device you are using.
It also matters if you want to hide your last active on Facebook on the iPhone, on Android and from web app (your PC or Laptop).
The important thing is if you follow these tips you can hide your active status on Facebook and Messenger and get some peace!
I will explain all and try to keep things simple!
Why Hide Your Activity Status?
In case you haven’t noticed, when you login to your Facebook account on any device the Messenger app will show you as active. If you look at your contacts or friends lists you can also see if they are active or when they were last active.
That can be useful at times. But what if you don’t want to be seen. Maybe you just want to do something else on Facebook and not have people messaging you.
You can have loads of reasons to hide you FB activity status.
For such times, you would be better off hiding your active status on Facebook Messenger and the app so that you don’t get bombarded with pleasantries and invitations to chat.
After all, who wants random strangers to ping you? You feel compelled to reply, you don’t have the time and then you feel bad. Social media should certainly not be the space to give you unnecessary anxiety.
Hide Your Last Active Status on Facebook Messenger Web
There is nothing to worry about if you are not in a mood to chat with someone. You can simply follow some easy steps to go discreet while still being able to access the platform and use it as you wish.
Here’s what you can do:
- You need to log in to your account if you aren’t already logged in.
- The next step would be to head straight to the chat head and choose ‘Turn off Active Status’ from the settings option.
- Facebook also gives you the option to remain discreet partially. If you don’t want to be available to certain people only from among your contacts, you are free to do so.
- You can hide your active status from either everyone or a few contacts from your friend list. The options will be displayed as ‘turn off active status for all contacts’, ‘turn off active status for all contacts except’ and turn off active status for only some contacts.
Choose what works for you!
How to Hide Last Active Status on Phone App?
The above steps can help you turn off your active status via the computer. If you are one of those people who use social media via phone, these are the steps you can follow to hide active status via Android and iOS iPhone.
Hide Last Active Status on Android Phone
Just follow these simple steps:
- Log in to your Facebook Messenger.
- Head straight to the profile picture on the right-hand side of the Messenger. It is on the top so you should be able to see it easily.
- All you need to do now is to turn off the active status.
You are free to be active on Messenger without having to deal with chat invitations.
Hide Your Last Active Status on iPhone
Open the Messenger app on your iPhone.
- Log into your Facebook profile by entering your credentials.
- Tap the active status which you can see at the top left of your profile picture.
- Now tap next to change your status.
- Confirm your choice and you are good to go.
That’s it easy as pie. But wait a minute this next section is important if you want to remain hidden!
Why Can’t You Simply Turn Off Active Status in Messenger?
Many people may think that simply turning off active status in Messenger will seal the deal. This is because it is what most people use to chat with others and it is where most people get pinged.
However, if you simply turn off Messenger, you will notice that once you log into Facebook, your status will still be active.
To go completely off the radar, you also need to hide your Active status on the Facebook app. Here are steps you can follow.
Hide Your Status on Facebook
Follow these steps to hide your status on the main Facebook App not just Messenger:
- Log in to the Facebook app from your phone.
- Go to the hamburger menu at the top right of the app.
- Settings and Privacy’ from the scroll-down option.
- In the settings menu, go to the ‘Privacy’ option and then tap on ‘Active’.
- You can either turn it off or on depending on your choice.
By following these simple steps, you will be able to change your availability status completely. Now, you will come across as inactive from the app and computer.
Things You Must Be Aware Of
It is easy to hide your last active status on Messenger following the steps above. But there is something you must be aware of.
Hiding your last active status is device specific. For example, if you follow the steps through your phone, you still will be active. Hence, you need to deactivate your active status on each device you use Facebook on.
For example, if you deactivate your status on Facebook Messenger via your phone, you may still be active via your laptop. So make sure you turn off the settings for each device you are synced with.
Hiding Active Status vs. Quitting
It is not uncommon to see people quit social media because of too much interference in their life or breach of privacy.
Speaking of privacy and security on FB. I have several articles aimed at parents trying to monitor their kids activity on social media apps. See – How to Hack a FB Account and Password or take a look at the best Facebook Messenger spying apps.
There is also a rise in cases of people shunning all social media platforms because it is impacting their mental health or they feel they are missing out on life.
Additionally, social media is addictive and several people end up spending way more time on it than they would ideally want to.
Being able to hide active status on Facebook may help people find a middle ground.
It gives you the option to be on the platform for reasons you deem appropriate. At the same time, it also helps you evade unnecessary scrutiny and advances.
You may be getting messages and it is completely up to you to respond to them based on your wish.
If you successfully managed to hide your active status on Messenger and the app, you need to know it is only a minor thing in the larger scheme of things.
I have some other useful articles about using Facebook Messenger that can help you make the most of the app:
- How Messenger Works Tutorial
- Tell When Someone was Last on Facebook
- How to Block Someone on Facebook Messenger
- How to Read Someones Messages on Facebook
Have a read I think you’ll find some interesting tips and advice.
There is a fair chance people may still be able to track you down via your activity log or something else.
Besides, if there is someone who really wants to annoy you, they will find a way through some other way. Also, you will be able to receive messages, you just have the freedom to not respond and offend someone.
Having said that, there is no way you can control someone else’s thoughts and actions. The best you can do is to hide your status and browse through Facebook as you wish.
Why should other people dictate how you browse through Facebook?
Lastly, hiding active status on Facebook is simple, easy and hassle-free. You don’t have to do anything complicated and with the simple tap of a few buttons, you are completely in control of your social media browsing.