You’re trying to send a Gif on Facebook Messenger, but for some reason, they’re not working. So, why can’t I send Gifs on Messenger? I’ll answer all your questions and tell you how to fix this.
It’s frustrating when you can’t send the Gifs you want to your friends on Facebook Messenger. Especially because so many other messaging apps support Gifs without any issues.
I feel your pain, and that’s I’ve written this guide on how to fix the problem of gifs not working on Facebook Messenger.
Why Gifs Don’t Work on Messenger
It seems like Facebook Messenger has struggled at times to send Gifs reliably. They just don’t seem to have this down as smoothly as other messaging apps like WhatsApp or Snapchat. Thanks Facebook!
The most likely reason for this is because Gifs are hosted on many different platforms. Each time you try to send a Gif, Facebook Messenger has to load it from the hosting site.
This can take a while, and sometimes the Gif doesn’t even load. If you’ve ever tried to send a Gif on Facebook Messenger and it’s just shown up as a blank space, that’s probably what’s happened.
Another reason Gifs might not work on Facebook Messenger is because of the file size. Gifs can be quite large, and if you’re trying to send a Gif that’s too big, it might not get sent.
Your internet connection could also be causing your Gifs to fail. But as I said, this problem seems to happen more often on the Messenger app.
Luckily, there are a few things you can do to fix the problem and start sending Gifs on Facebook Messenger again. Before you continue you should see my guide on sending Gifs on Messenger – it will show you the best way to send Gifs and explain how it all works.
How to Fix Facebook Messenger GIFs Not Working?
If your Gifs aren’t sending properly you’ll most likely see a red exclamation mark next to where the Gif is supposed to be. If you’re not sure what this looks like I have a guide to all Messenger symbols and icons here.
As I mentioned several issues can be causing the Gif to fail. Here are a few things you can do to fix the problem:
- Make sure you have a strong internet connection. A weak or unreliable connection can cause problems with sending Gifs. They are sometimes quite large files and any drop in your internet can cause them to fail – especially on the mobile app.
- Check the file size of the Gif. If it’s too large, it might not send successfully.
- Test sending a different Gif. Sometimes it could just be a corrupted Gif file. If you can send other Gifs, it might just be a problem with that one Gif in particular.
- Restart the Facebook Messenger app and try sending the Gif again. Sometimes the app just needs to be restarted to update. It will clear Facebook Messenger. You know the old technology favorite fix – turn it off and back on again!
- You can force stop the Messenger app. Sometimes the app may be “stuck”. Open Facebook Messenger and go to the app settings and tap “force stop“. This does what it says. Then open the Messenger app again and try resending your Gif.
- As a last resort, you can uninstall the Messenger app and then re-install it. This can help any problems with your Messenger app storage.
- If you’re still having problems, try downloading the Gif and sending it as a file attachment. This usually works if nothing else does.
Have Messenger Gifs Suddenly Stopped Sending Properly?
Were they working before but now they don’t? In this situation, I would try a force stop and restart the Messenger app. This usually fixes the Gif problem on Facebook Messenger.
Fix Those Messenger Gif Problems – Send Gifs Like a Pro!
Messenger users who have been struggling to send Gifs may find the tips in this guide helpful. If your Gifs aren’t sending properly, there are a few things you can do to fix the problem.
Before trying anything else, make sure you have a strong internet connection and that your Gif file size isn’t too large. You can also test sending a different Gif to see if it’s just one particular Gif that isn’t working.
If you’re still having problems, try restarting the Messenger app or force stopping and then re-opening it. As a last resort, you can uninstall and then re-install the Messenger app. If all else fails, try downloading the Gif and sending it as a file attachment.
Do you have any other tips for fixing Gif problems on Facebook Messenger? Or do you have a question about Gifs not sending properly? Get in touch and let me know. I’m happy to help!
I hope this guide has helped you fix your problem with sending Gifs on Messenger. If it did, please share it with others who might also be struggling!
How do I enable GIFs on Messenger?
You don’t need to enable Gifs on Messenger, they are already enabled by default now.
What happened to GIFs in Messenger?
Many Facebook Messenger users have had problems with Gifs not working properly. Gifs in Messenger have had some updates and now work more reliably. Before you could only send a small range of Gifs but now you can easily send and view Gifs from third party sources.
Why can’t I send gifs on messenger iPhone?
Apple iPhone users have the same problems when sending Gifs on Messenger. Follow the advice in this guide to fix the problems. Re-starting the Messenger app usually fixes everything.
Facebook Messenger Gifs not working on android?
Again, the Gifs not working problem can occur on Android phones and devices. Re-starting the Messenger app will fix most problems on Android.
Get in touch if you have any further questions and I’ll do my best to answer them. Thanks for reading. Have a great day!